Crudo is Italian for raw, and this dish is perfect for the cusp season between spring and summer. This dish brightens the umami of scallop with citrus three ways – lime, orange, and lemon. Chili oil adds just a touch of heat. These uber-fresh diver scallops were signaling from behind the fishmongers case to come home with me! Just a few really high quality scallops go a long way. I hope you enjoy this simple and flavorful dish with your favorite people.
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lime, 1/2 lemon, 1 orange or mandarin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine), optional
- 1/2 teaspoon chili oil
- 1/2 inch of ginger, grated
- 3 large sea scallops, thinly sliced
- Pinch of salt
- Aleppo pepper, for garnish
- Mint and chives, for garnish
- Place sliced scallops in the freezer for 5-10 mins (the time it takes to do the remaining steps).
- Combine oil, ponzu sauce (or orange juice, lime juice, and lemon juice), soy sauce, ginger, and chili oil in a bowl.
- Arrange the sliced scallops on a plate. Pour dressing onto the scallops.
- Garnish with mint, chives, salt and Aleppo pepper.